Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lots going on

This post is going to make it sound like I'm made of money, but I'm not really.  It's just that I have several little projects going on at the same time.  I've been putting back a little cash, plus it's tax return season so it going to look like I'm spending more than I am.

First of all, I've ordered some new developers.  I've been using mostly Kodak HC-110 and a little Kodak D-76.  I had just about given up on the D-76 since I have to mix it up a gallon at a time and it starts going bad as soon as you mix it.  I like the HC-110 because of how easy it is to mix up for single roll use.  Sticking with that same idea I ordered some Adox Adonal, which is the same formula as the old Agfa Rodinal.  It's a very old formula that I've been wanting to try with some stand development.  I also have some Diafine coming.  It's a very interesting developer.  It comes in an A and B solution that is largely usable at any room temperature.  It's a compensating developer and doesn't necessarily develop at box speed.  You need to expose your film with the developer in mind.  Both have something different to offer me in the darkroom and both have very long shelf lives.  I look forward to trying them out.

Speaking of trying out.  I was reading a forum post about someone using some odd film.  It turns out they were talking about Kodak SO-331 High Contrast Pan Intermediate 35mm film.  It's supposed to be used as a motion picture film, but others have been using it in SLRs.  It ships in 1000 foot rolls as opposed to the normal 100 foot rolls I usually buy.  And it was cheap,  $41 after shipping.
1000' roll of film and a bulk loader.
I shot a few test frames to experiment with development in HC-110.  The results were better than I expected, but I don't have the exposure and development times nailed down yet.  I can't wait to try it out with the new developers I have coming.

Speaking of things I have coming.  The legs on the cheap tripod I bought a few years ago finally starting turning to mush.  The ballhead is still is good shape, so I ordered a new set of legs.  I should have a set of Manfrotto 294 legs here on Friday.  I'm also just about ready to order the new (old) film body I've been wanting, a Nikon FM2n.  I'll talk more about that later.




No comments:

Post a Comment